Sunday, March 28, 2010

Potato Pancakes

As Easter approaches, I'm trying to determine what I can eat from our family's favorite Easter brunch food. We usually have German pancakes, also called Dutch babies. Made from milk, eggs, and wheat, they're out of the question. Enter: Kartoffelpuffer, or German potato pancakes.

In high school, I took a trip to Germany to stay with my relatives and practice the language. My family doesn't eat a traditional German diet, but on a visit with a friend I got to try typical food. From a street vendor in Bonn, one thing I never forgot? Kartoffelpuffer. Served with applesauce, a surprisingly delicious combination! A couple years ago I saw a friend's grandma (Oma) make them at her home here in the US. I was lucky enough to try them and was transported right back to that first taste in Bonn. Since then I've been meaning to make them at home.

I've had a recipe for kartoffelpuffer for a long time but was afraid to try it because I've never really fried anything before. Today I decided to give it a try, with a couple modifications to make them allergy free, and found it was simple and delicious! They'll be on the menu frequently, and a treat for Easter that will always be special.

Kartoffelpuffer mit Apfelmus

6 medium russett potatoes, peeled
1 medium onion
1 t salt
about 1/3 c Mochiko sweet rice flour
about 1/2 c applesauce
canola oil
apples

Grate the potatoes and the onion (I used my Kitchen Aid attachment, but a cheese grater works as well). Toss the salt into the mixture and squeeze out the extra liquid. Add enough sweet rice flour to gently coat the potatoes, about 1/3 cup. Stir in enough applesauce to bind the potatoes together to form patties.

Preheat canola oil to coat the bottom of a nonstick pan on medium high heat. Form about 1/3 cup of potatoes into a disk and place in the pan. The oil should bubble moderately when the potatoes are added. Cook until golden brown, turn, and brown the other side. Serve warm with homemade applesauce.

For the applesauce, made ahead of time: Peel and slice apples and place in the crockpot (I use as many apples as I can fit!) with a drizzle of water. Cook until soft. I like to puree mine with a stick blender, leaving a few small chunks. I don't think it needs anything else, but you can add cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar if you prefer.

I rarely eat German food, but it just so happens I ate beer and brats last night for dinner, German mustard and all. I'm certainly living up to my heritage this weekend. While I miss the bread and cheese, there are some great options available for people with multiple food allergies. Kartoffelpuffer with some delicious homemade applesauce will be a perfect treat for Easter brunch or anytime. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment