Saturday, October 10, 2009

Super Simple Taco Soup

Ahh, fall. It's always a little sad saying goodbye to all the joys of summer, but on these beautiful, crisp fall days, I am reminded how much I love this time of year. Fog. The color show of the leaves. Playing outside with coats on and cold noses. Then I find I'm really in the mood for soup! And once I realize it's soup season, I hardly miss summer anymore. Instead I get cooking.

Tonight we got home later than expected, so we whipped up a quick taco soup for dinner. We've never made this before but were happily surprised by the results, especially considering the minimal effort. It could also be altered to suit your taste, your pantry/refrigerator supply, or the amount you want to cook. Thus, it is worthy of a post!

First, we had some chips and salsa as an appetizer. Yum! Then we were satisfied enough to get busy cooking. Here's what we did:

Super Simple Taco Soup

1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 large onion
1 yellow bell pepper
garlic to taste
chili powder (about 2 T)
cumin (about 1 t)
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can corn
1 small can sliced olives
bouillon
water
a pinch or two of dried oregano
a couple T of coarsely chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste
avocado

Brown the ground beef and drain. Add garlic, onions, and pepper and cook on medium high heat until onions start to turn clear. Sprinkle the chili powder and cumin over the mixture and stir. Add the can of tomatoes (ours had green chilies in it, but you could add those separately) with their juice and bouillon and water. Add the other canned ingredients, drained, and adjust water if necessary for a thick soup consistency. Stir in the oregano and parsley, salt and pepper, and simmer for 10 minutes or so to allow flavors to mingle. Serve with sliced avocado.

You could use more or less of anything I listed, any kinds of beans, add or subtract vegetables-- maybe jalapeno or crushed red pepper would be good for some heat. Dairy eaters could, of course, add cheese and sour cream. I would have added cilantro if I had some on hand.

Have fun trying it and perfecting it to suit your taste! I know we will be making this again, but I have to say I don't think we'll change it all that much. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment