Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

With fall here in force (read: rain and soggy leaves), the autumn cravings have hit hard. Anything to do with apples, pumpkins, cranberries, kale, squash, and mushrooms have been dominating my thoughts this week. I even ran into a lady in the grocery store who shared my craving for mushrooms-- who'd have thought?

In my quest for delicious fall food, I tinkered with the apple spice cake I made for Siena's birthday (also delicious this time of year) to create the perfect pumpkin cranberry muffins. I've already had three fresh out of the oven, and Siena has had her fair share as well.

Because sugar pumpkins are abundant this time of year, I cook my own and keep pumpkin in the refrigerator for use on a whim. Line a baking sheet with foil, halve the pumpkin, lay on the pan cut-side down, cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes. Scoop out the flesh, and voila! There's something satisfying about doing it yourself, and I love showing Siena how raw ingredients are transformed into our meals. But canned pumpkin would work as well.

Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin
1 cup oat flour
1 cup barley flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the first oil, syrup, and vanilla in a bowl. Whisk in the pumpkin. Sift all of the dry ingredients into the mixture and stir until mixed. Stir in the cranberries. Fill lightly oiled muffin pan 3/4 full with batter and cook 20 minutes until golden brown on top. Makes about 12. (Adapted from http://www.mothering.com/recipes/applesauce-cake)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. All of your recipes make my mouth water as I read them. I am trying your pumpkin muffin recipe today with a substitution of dried cranberries and making it in loaf form instead of muffins. I can't wait! Thanks for sharing your food journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Megan! Let me know how it turns out. I have been making muffins because texture is tricky when cooking allergy free, and no slicing is required with muffins. I think these should work well, though. We keep these muffins almost constantly on hand at our house. :)

    ReplyDelete