Sunday, June 20, 2010

We all scream for... Sorbet!

I am a huge fan of ice cream. One of the first things I realized when I began the allergy-free journey was that I would be deprived of my favorite treat. I'd tried sorbet previously, but didn't really give it much credit. I preferred ice cream, year round.

As I anticipate the beginning of summer for the second time while eating allergy free, I felt inspired to try making sorbet for the first time. I have friends who own and operate a bed and breakfast who often served sorbet as the fruit course at their inn. For some reason it caught my attention last time they mentioned it. It sounded delicious, and also special and fun to make it at home. I had an ice cream maker that had been unused for ten years, so I pulled it out and gave it a try.

I googled recipes; there are so many ideas online, even if you don't have an ice cream maker. The basic formula only requires simple syrup and fruit juice or puree. Some recipes add lemon juice to "brighten" the flavors, or alcohol to prevent it from freezing too solid.

I started with a minted watermelon recipe to use some mint from our garden and some leftover watermelon. It was decadent, but it filled the ice cream maker too full and therefore didn't freeze enough, which in turn caused it to freeze too solidly in the freezer. (Next time I plan on freezing it in two batches, but in the meantime we're enjoying "shaved ice.") Second I made lemon sorbet, which I processed too long and it was actually crumbly(!). I tried the lemon recipe again, watching it more closely, and stopped it when it was perfect-- right out of the ice cream maker and after sitting in the freezer.

While I hardly gave sorbet a second thought before, I rate it quite highly today! It's a light, energetic alternative to ice cream. And all those fancy flavors we ate weeks ago in Las Vegas are now at my fingertips. I can't wait to experiment with more recipes: I already have a queue of ideas that I'll be trying as fast as we can eat them, and it will be a great way to preserve extra fruit this summer. In anticipation of some warmth and sun, let's all celebrate with some sorbet!

No comments:

Post a Comment