Sunday, January 24, 2010

Football Food

Ever since the Seahawks made it to the Super Bowl, it's our tradition to host the party. I made a bet with my husband that he could get a bigscreen TV if the Hawks made it to the big game. I mean, really, who actually thought the Hawks would make it to the Super Bowl?! The First Lesson in Making Bets is that if you win the bet, you should get something desirable as a result. Unfortunately I forgot to negotiate the terms in case I won. Even though it didn't really matter because I lost, I'm never living that one down! And okay, I admit, the bigscreen TV is definitely nice at times...

Once again, we're in the heat of the playoffs. I'm sitting here watching the Colts and the Jets vie for a spot at Super Bowl XLIV, with my mouth watering for some bean dip. Why did I just have that bowl of stir fry and ruin my appetite? I'm not a huge football fan, but I do enjoy a game here and there-- and it's a nice excuse to enjoy some good old American junk food! I have some ideas on how to do it allergy free, and without a lot of the extra calories.

I've found occasions where everyone is munching to be the most difficult for me-- not because of temptations, but because of the setup. I never realized until now how mindless munching is: You walk by and pop something in your mouth, without even thinking about it. This year we're providing most of the food for our party. While we invited others to bring food as well, we alerted people about our allergy issues. We can put munchies with allergens in a separate area, which will create awareness for me and minimize cross-contamination. (Beware of people switching spoons, dropping shredded cheese into an adjacent bowl, etc.)

What to eat? Here are a few ideas to get you started.

Dips provide many options for the allergy-free eater. I got this hummus recipe years ago from a dear friend. Try it with veggies and, my favorite, sweet potato chips from Food Should Taste Good. Make different flavors by adding roasted red bell peppers, kalamata olives, extra lemon and garlic with basil, etc.

Leah's Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans
3 cloves garlic
3 T lemon juice
3 T tahini
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t paprika
olive oil and/or water

Blend ingredients in a food processor, adding olive oil and/or water to desired consistency. I found that olive oil makes for a smoother dip, and extra calories, but at least it's a healthy fat. Store in the refrigerator.
*****

Tortilla chips are versatile, as are the dips they go with. This bean dip is very satisfying in place of chili cheese dips that are popular at Super Bowl parties. Accompany this with some guacamole and pico de gallo and you have a great dip trio for your tortilla chips!

Everything Bean Dip

1 pound taco meat
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
garlic to taste
1 can refried beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can diced green chilies
1 small can sliced olives

Prepare taco meat. We used extra lean ground beef, cooked and drained, seasoned with chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Set aside. In a pot over medium high heat, sweat the onion, bell pepper, and garlic until onion turns translucent. Add the refried beans, diced tomatoes, and green chilies. Stir until smooth and heat through over medium low heat, stirring often. Stir in the olives and taco meat. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
*****

My friend brought some barbecue drumsticks for a New Year's Eve poker party. She thoughtfully altered them to make them allergy free for me, and my mouth is watering as I think about them! These are also perfect for football, but get extra napkins!

Barbecue Drumsticks
(altered from Betty Crocker)

2 pounds of drumsticks (or wings)
2 T olive oil
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 T hot sauce
1/2 t Cajun seasoning
1/4 t ground cumin

Heat oven to 425. Pour olive oil into 13x9 pan. Mix the flour, salt, and pepper (throw in any other seasoning that sounds good to you) in a large Ziploc bag. Add the chicken, seal, and shake until coated. Place the chicken in the pan. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Mix the barbecue sauce, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, and cumin (once again, and anything else you think sounds good). Turn the chicken and pour the sauce evenly over the chicken to coat. Bake an additional 10-12 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Serve with extra napkins!
*****

What's a Super Bowl party without pizza? Pizza sounds tricky without wheat our cheese but can still be delicious! There are some tasty gluten-free crust mixes on the market. Check your local natural food store. Make those according to the package directions and top as you choose. I like a Greek theme: salami, roasted red peppers, pepperoncinis, and kalamata olives add a lot of flavor.

You can't forget about drinks, of course (although yes, I keep it at a minimum while breastfeeding)! If you're local, Fish Tale's Organic Amber is my favorite and wheat free. A new mixed drink recipe I've been enjoying lately is nameless but delicious: 1 part fresh squeezed lime juice, 1 part agave nectar, and 1 part good quality agave tequila.

Top it off with a fresh fruit tray and you have a flavorful spread that is sure to satisfy everyone. You don't have to feel deprived, even on a day that revolves around splurging on junk food!

No comments:

Post a Comment